Monday, February 26, 2007

Where are your FLIP-FLOPS?


It's the phrase you probably hear me asking (more like yelling) more than any other during the day when the kids are playing. Bare feet just don't work well on wet tile floors! The floor is often damp after a clean-up, or from pool water out in the back courtyard. Or when the kids are playing with the hose. The courtyard also has stone tile flooring that gets very slipper when wet. Therefore, I come calling after the kids all day long, "WHERE ARE YOUR FLIP-FLOPS?" We usually call them by their Portuguese name, "chinelas."

Flip-flops were one of our very first purchases when we arrived. You use them in the shower (we have no bathtub here) to keep from slipping as well. I could easily obsess on buying flip-flops here as I love the Brazilian 'Havaiana' brand (click on title for link) and they've become so popular, that they now have come out with dozens of wonderful designs and colors. They're not expensive to buy here compared to outside of Brazil.


On to other news: Liam and Isabella are opening a School of Demolition. They are experts in the field. They can make the house look like it's been turned upside-down in literally seconds! They have amazing talent in demolition work. Just today, they managed to cover the entire courtyard floor with mashed bread rolls. They were making "cookies" out in their play kitchen. Just mix and mash the bread rolls with a little water and you can make a very nice paste that covers the floor evenly. I have no idea when they looked like cookies. Somehow the "cookies" ended-up like paste on the floor. It kept them very busy at least!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your kids sound like mine. Jenea is playing with playdough on the kitchen table right now, and I'm dreading what the kitchen will look like when she's done.

We think about you guys often and pray for you often as well. Curtis saw the kids pics on here and got so sad. He really misses them both. Both the kids keep asking when they'll come back. I'm really enjoying reading your blog. It really helps us know how to pray. -Christa Staples

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh...I love those flip-flops!! :o)

Ruthann

Robin said...

I love the flip flops - I am a flip flop addict! My kids won't wear them, but I make all kids wear "pool shoes" (jelly shoes) whenever they're playing with water up on the roof because we have the same "slippery when wet" issues.

Lilight said...

Hi Christa! It's great to see you on here. Thanks for checking-out our blog. The kids really miss Curtis and Jenea as well (I miss those two also. Give me a big hug from me, O.K.?) Do you guys blog? How are things going?

Ruthann - :) Do you still have those ones?

Robin - Pool shoes would be ideal here. Too bad I forgot to bring those to Brazil!

Rosy said...

I am freek of those flip flops.
cheers,
Rosy.
---------------------
http://www.withcrystalsandstones.net/