Monday, July 02, 2007

Daisy and the Lizard

This evening, the kids were out near the front door of our home. Daisy, the calico cat, was giving one of her big loud "MEOWs" that let us know she's brought us a "present." Isabella came running in to me and informed me of the dead lizard Daisy was showing them that she'd gotten. Only, the dead lizard got up and started walking away. Apparently, Isabella informed me, "Daisy was only joking with us that it was dead!" I love Isabella's take on things!

I need a crash-course on fine arts and antiquities. When we get a donation of valuable items, we try and research them to know their worth. I find it very interesting to learn the history of these items. Recently, an elderly woman, who appears to have been originally from New York, passed-away. Edil was called by the retirement home to come and take away whatever was left there. There were several signed and numbered lithographs, some beautiful sculpture table lamps (which are worth quite a bit it seems), some furniture, and even some black and white photographs from this woman's life, including photos of her and her husband and who I guess were her sons. There were pictures from vacations, cruises, golf games, times together with people who seemed close to one another. I find it very sad that there seems to be no family members nearby who cared about these things (esp. the photographs). There was an address book that made me think of perhaps calling people with her same last name and seeing if there is anyone who cared about having these things. But then it seems that they'd have known of her passing and would have been here to help her or at least, to collect her belongings. Or they'd have been passed-on to them already. One wonders if she was disconnected from them for a reason. It's hard to know what to do with her photographs. I suppose we'll put them in a shoebox and have them stored for some time in the store to see if anyone will claim them in the future.

Interestingly, one of the artists, who is well known from what I've researched, has the same last name as this woman. I wonder if they were related.

1 comment:

Robin said...

How very sad that she died without her family around her. My heart breaks at the thought of that box of photos.

On a happier note, welcome back!