Friday, July 27, 2007

A Floridian? Who me?

Well, today was the day I gave up my Washington State driver's license for a Florida State driver's license. They wouldn't even punch a hole in my old license to let me keep it. "Not if you're becoming a resident in Florida," I was told. It felt very odd. All I've ever had since learning to drive was a Washington State license.

I was not surprised to see at the department of licensing, due to what I've observed on the road, the steady stream of traffic violation payers who were coming in to pay. Several with suspended licenses. South Florida also has the worst record for road rage in the nation.

Which leads me to the observation about the way many populations of people drive here. I often see people driving leaning on one shoulder against the door in a slumped position, talking on their cell phone, or just plain acting like they'd like to figure-out how to take a nap while driving, all at accelerated speeds racing to the next red light. It's simply baffling to watch. And no, it's not the retired population who seem to drive this way. It's probably hard to imagine for anyone who's never been here to know just how badly people drive in South Florida!

So, here I am. A Florida driver. Let's just hope I don't form any bad habits on the road. That's doubtful. I probably drive more like the retired and age-ed Floridians who've moved here from the Northeast. I refuse to pull-out onto the road until it is clear. So stop honking your horn back there already or I'll shoot! (just kidding)

No comments: