Sunday, July 22, 2007

The kids did great

The kids and I took our first trip to a nursing/retirement home on Saturday. I'd been wanting to start taking them for some time, and there was an organized trip for the kids from church. Edilberto wanted to come but it was his Saturday to work at the store. It all worked-out well going with the group from church initially. The need is great here in Florida to visit those who have nobody and are nearing the end of their life. Having already had this in mind, I was glad when I heard the kids were planning this visit and we could join in.

Isabella did very well, as I knew she would. She is especially wonderful with babies and old people. She is very caring and has no reservations in reaching-out to others. She very quickly engaged in conversation, reaching out to hold someone's hand. She delighted the grandmas and grandpas there with her smiles and hugs and willingness to talk!

Liam was very reluctant, as I knew he would be. At first, he seemed completely resistant to the whole idea of going. I soon realized that he was anxious and a bit scared about it. On the way there, I assured him that he didn't have to say or do anything. He could just stick by me. That seemed to help him.

Liam warmed-up to the program when he saw a boy, who he knows and is a couple of years older than him, very enthusiastically visiting with the residents of the home. He asked Liam to come and meet one of his friends (a very sweet old woman he knew there). Liam wanted to tag along with this boy.

Isabella and I were engaged in conversation with a very nice woman named Irene, when Liam came to me and asked if he could go with the group to another wing of the home. I heard that they were going to visit the Alzheimer's wing. I didn't think it'd be a good idea for him since he had been anxious about the whole visit to start with. One of my friends in the group said she'd watch him when he said to me that he really wanted to go (after I mentioned to him that he might not feel comfortable and maybe shouldn't go). I agreed to let him go since he was so enthusiastic.

He came back a while later seeming very happy and content in participating. I was relieved. He had had such a big change of heart! I was proud of him.

We plan to return to visit the people we have met during our first visit. I am definite that a couple of people Isabella and I talked with will not remember us when we return. I know that some of them will though. And even if they don't, if we can bring some moments of companionship and love to someone, we will have done what we set-out to do.

1 comment:

Robin said...

How lovely that you were able to put a smile on some lonely faces. I used to visit a nearby old age home with my brownie troup, but I was a bit older than Liam.

When I was about Isa's age though my burning desire in life was to grow up and work in an old age home. No one could understand it, until my mother realized that every time we went to visit my great-grandmother, all the other residents would ply me with candy! I figured that if I worked there I'd get candy all the time LOL.