Friday, August 03, 2007

Having to Decide About Your Child's Education

I am in a dilemma regarding Liam's schooling. I feel I have two wonderful options, however, both with their sacrifices, both with their benefits. One being the private Christian school that we've been thinking he'd be going to, the other being homeschooling. Public school in our area is not an option.

I have always wanted to homeschool my children. However, as I know my son, I realize that he is happiest when he's in a small group setting. He was really against being homeschooled. Lately however, he seems to be content with the idea. He seems to feel the same as going to the private school that he's come to know from several visits there.

We thought we'd be getting a bigger break in the cost of the private school than we were offered. There's still a possibility to get a bigger discount on tuition, but it is still up in the air. The positive about homeschooling is applying the money we'd be paying into tuition, to a lot of extracurricular activities like piano lessons, athletics, science camps, etc. I have also discovered a very organized and supportive homeschool association network in this area. They have organized get-togethers throughout the year. There is also an athletic association for homeschoolers that offers many types of sports.

When I met with the principal of the private school the other day, she was very excited for us to be a part of the school. She wanted us to bring a very missional aspect. I told her about an idea I had to mobilize the students of the entire school to adopt a clean water project. Fund raising and bringing clean water to a village in a country that needs it. Perhaps even taking some students to Africa to build a clean water system for a community. She was thrilled to hear of some of the ideas I'd been thinking about. I was thrilled that she was so desiring this type of thing for the students. She stated that academics are important and that they have very good academics in the school. However, she said that they really want the emphasis of the school to be outward in focus, for the students to learn to be selfless and to serve those who are in need. To be world changers in that regard.

I believe the same thing could happen with a homeschooling association. I just have to figure out what God wants us to do in all of this. Whether it be working with a school, or with a group of homeschooling families. We want to be an influence in our community. To love and serve those around us who the Lord brings our way. To make a difference where we are. To be in an environment that would nurture these things in our children. There are so many decisions to be made. We have to know soon as the school year begins in mid-August here in Florida!

1 comment:

Jo said...

I know how tricky this education business can be. Good on you for caring so.

J
x