Friday, January 11, 2008

Pit Bull attack in our neighborhood

Last night I was oblivious to the events that were taking place just around the corner from our house, in our own neighborhood. Edilberto was out in the back barbecuing, and saw a news helicopter hovering overhead. He came in and turned on the news on television to see what was happening. I was in another room and wasn't paying any attention.

My neighbor friend phoned me to ask if I had seen what was happening. I said I hadn't. She informed me that a pit bull had gotten loose and that another neighbor had shot and killed it. Apparently, the owner of the dog wasn't home and the dog had gotten out. A neighbor heard kids yelling about the dog being out loose. He went to investigate and was attacked by the dog. The dog bit up his arms and backside. He had a concealed weapon on him and pulled it out and shot the dog three times, killing it.

We all went outside (it was dark by then) to peer down the street from a distance. The kids were with me and so was the neighbor who had called me. We were at a distance, and in the dark, and still, the television news crew saw us and came running-up to interview us. I guess since I was with small children, they asked me to give my thoughts on what had taken place. They also interviewed Liam. I told the neighbors it wouldn't make the cut in the editing because we hadn't seen anything, and therefore we weren't a very interesting or relevant interview. Although I must say, Liam was pretty darned cute in his interview!

I was right that we weren't on the news, but we saw the interviews of several of our neighbors. The guy who owned the dog said that he was more concerned for the neighbor who was hurt, rather than his dog having died. That same dog had attacked the guy's own father a few years ago. Unfortunately, I think there are at least two other pit bulls in our neighborhood.

----UPDATE:
I guess I was on tonight's news. I didn't watch television tonight so I didn't know. I just saw this on the news website. This is the story as well as the video (you'll have to click on to watch)and a portion of the interview I gave them towards the end of the footage:

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI73027/

No comments: