Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Wednesday Afternoon


The project. We're working on the handwriting.


It's Wednesday afternoon, and I am home with both kids. Liam stayed home from school today. Which was very unfortunate, because he had a presentation to do in class today. And we spent a total of 3 hours (!!!) preparing for it yesterday.


The time consuming part was making the poster for it. It probably wouldn't have taken that long if Liam didn't have to be prodded the whole time to get it finished. I can't blame him though. He got very tired. It was a lot of work with just a day's notice! (What is up with First Grade homework?) I was tired after researching, making him rewrite things and reducing information into concise forms. I was impressed with the ideas Liam came up with though! For example, his idea for the map to show the journey.


We were up all night with Liam. He had a croupy cough that made him scared. Of course, his panicking scared me. I leapt out of a deep sleep several times during the night. We decided to keep him home. He hadn't slept enough, and had a low-grade fever, and cough.


They're having International Day at Liam's school tomorrow. Each class has a different country as its focus. Liam's class has Germany. The project he was supposed to present today was on the life of Levi Strauss. He immigrated to the U.S. from Germany as a teenager. Moved across the U.S. to San Francisco from New York during the Gold Rush in California. Invented the blue jeans for gold prospectors to wear. Got rich! I was telling Liam the prospectors were probably down to wearing rags before the blue jean came along. Imagine being out there digging and panning for gold wearing a weaker material.

I hope Liam is well and can make it to school tomorrow. It would be too bad if he missed out on roaming the classrooms to discover other countries with his class tomorrow.

2 comments:

Robin said...

He did a GREAT job!! I hope he's feeling well enough to go in tomorrow.

(I cannot believe they only gave them one day to do all that!)

TnMomTo3 said...

My goodness! His poster is fabulous! Josh hasn't had to do anything close to that this year. He rarely has homework at all (just reading and spelling once a week).

I do hope he's feeling better and can go back tomorrow! Big hugs!!