Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Drained




Like my computer just was drained of its power, and I lost the entire post I had just written, I too am drained (esp. having to post again.) Hopefully, the computer will maintain power and recharge and I won't lose my post again. But... there's a short in the electric plug so it's not guaranteed!

Already drained from having taught until late the night before, today's sorting and packing among other things has just about done me in. Thankfully, class went very well and I was privileged to share with a group of students in their early to mid-20s all eager to make a difference and not content to lead a complacent life. They kept me until well after class was over with questions and wanting to chat.

The subject was "True Spirituality," which is being intentional in loving and serving your neighbor (those we come in contact with), and helping the poor, orphans, widows, and anyone who is in need. This being without judgement, because Christ died for all, and because that person was made in His image and is deeply loved by the Creator. Also, regardless of what that person thinks or believes; just because of Christ's infinite love for us all. Tomorrow night we will have a discussion on practical ways we can serve in an urban setting.

Sorting and packing and stepping back to see that, even after eliminating well over 3/4 of our possessions, there still seems to be an overwhelming amount of things I want to take with us. That mostly being things that were wedding gifts, albums, pictures (of course), some bedding, a few books and other items. Just imaging trying to get it all within our baggage limit makes my stomach turn.

Then there's the cats. Daisy and Pepper will almost definitely be coming with us. The vet was here today (makes house calls) to give them their shots (2 each) and fill-out their health exam paperwork for the Ministry of Agriculture. We have to go to a local airport to get these papers stamped with approval for the kitties to get to come with us. They're already booked on our flight. The vet recommended we take them in one large carrier. That will save us some money as you have to pay per carrier.

What did me in almost completely today, was watching Pepper transform into the Tasmanian Devil cat when it was her turn for the vet to see her. She went completely mad. I expected this behavior from Daisy, who was amazingly calmer than I remember her being in that situation. I did not, however, expect it from Pepper, who is usually more laid-back in nature. It scared and upset me. I had to leave the room while Edil held her and the vet gave the shots. She had to be put into a pillowcase (after muzzling failed) and injected through the case. I was afraid of both Edil and the vet getting ripped to pieces by her flailing claws.

The whole thing was exhausting. It made me concerned about how she might react on the trip or after we arrive. This evening, she is still obviously mad over the whole ordeal. She is keeping to herself. And like I mentioned, she's usually a cat who is very laid-back most of the time. If she doesn't watch herself, I just might have to ask to divert the plane to China!

No comments: