Monday, March 19, 2007

We're Completely Nuts!

The countdown is on. We're into our last week in Brazil. We're packing-up our house and moving (again!) It looks like we'll be taking along our two cats, Daisy and Pepper. I just bought one cat carrier today so that they can go in and out of it and get used to it. Make friends with it so to speak. They'll be in one for hours traveling; they might as well get used to it now. When our vet approves the one I picked-out, I will purchase the second one. If the airlines will let us take them together in one cage, the vet said it'd be best. I can exchange this carrier for a bigger one for both of them if that is the case. I am doubting that, however. He said if not, to ask the airlines to have the carriers facing towards each other so that the cats can see one another.

They have these very handy absorbent pads to line the carrier with in case there's any tinkling along the way. The vet also said you can put a water bottle in there so that the cats can lick it (I guess like the kind that hamsters use?) Also, not to give them tranquilizers because their equilibrium won't function and they could hurt themselves falling when moved, rather than brace themselves naturally.

Imagine the scene at the airport, large quantity of baggage, kids, cats in carriers - UGH! I am going to recruit a team to take us to the airport. I can imagine the dirty looks we'll get with all of our stuff. Business travelers don't tolerate well travelers who are moving house! Especially travelers with small children. You should have seen the looks and heard the sighs when going through security last time with our kids. Taking-off shoes, putting them back on, ourselves and the kids, putting on jackets, lugging off the carry-ons and rounding-up the kids. The guy at the X-Ray machine got his fun accelerating the conveyor belt when I was trying to get my computer back into its case. It flopped and tumbled out of my hand when the belt sped underneath. I could see him smirk. I guess that's how they have their fun.

I pray that the return trip goes more smoothly than we can imagine. This week, I can't imagine being very calm. I am teaching two nights this week at a School of Urban Missions. Why I volunteered to teach the last week we are here I will never know. Edil taught two nights last week and inbetween teaching, he took a trip to Rio de Janeiro, 10 hours by bus to his destination, to visit his bestfriend and bestfriend's family.

I also forgot how long it takes to prepare a class in two different languages. I first prepare the material in English, then translate into Portuguese. Then I have to remember how to express a point in a way that I'm understood - which is tricky sometimes with the vocabulary. The worst part is, most nights the foghorn is going off inside my head with the fog around my brain starting to settle in. Let's hope it's a clear headed night tomorrow!

No comments: