Thursday, May 24, 2007

Run-down on things since we last talked!


Some the things we've been up to since we were so rudely cut-off without a computer:

*The Thrift Store has received a lot of donations and sales have been good. One donation that they are receiving tomorrow is of a large bus in good condition (low mileage) that was a church bus. It is going to be sent to a ministry in Jamaica.

*We had our first official visitor to our home. Our dear friend Matt, who was on his way to and from teaching in the Caribbean. Thanks for stopping-in old friend!

*We ventured-out and attended an annual Ft. Lauderdale community event, the Air & Sea Show (which is venturing-out when you don't usually "do" crowds - with over a million people over a stretch of beach area). We thought it'd be something fun for the kids; and I couldn't resist knowing that the Air Force "Thunderbirds" would be flying. I hadn't seen them since I was a kid. It was a spectacular show. Hearing the sudden explosive thunderous roar of F-17's fly over brought me straight back to when I was a little girl growing-up in the Mojave desert where planes were tested overhead (planes like the Stealth Bomber, and the Black Bird were at the air show and were planes I first saw when tested). At the age of four having broken my wrist after being bucked-off my pony from a sonic boom from a plane breaking the sound barrier that spooked him. I loved hearing those planes flying over me because it was like going back in time. I explained this to the kids (that I'd grown-up with these loud sounds) and they weren't frightened by the loud noise at all.

We would have done a few things differently (like not gotten to the beach so early for the show but rather, would have waited until later. Also, probably would have stayed-off the beach altogether. It was crazy! Better up on the lawn by a hotel to watch). I also think I prefer an airshow where you can walk around the planes.

It was an emotional moment for me when the show began and so many planes were up in the air at once. It made me think of my father (once an Air Force test pilot, and professor of aviation) and how he would have enjoyed being there and how much a part of his life all of this was. Made me miss him terribly. My eyes welled-up with tears (which was irritating because it made the sunscreen on my face run into and burn my eyes as I wiped away the tears!!!)

*I've been trying to catch-up with paperwork, correspondence (failing miserably so far,I'm afraid), while getting into a routine here with the kids and continuing to finish unpacking and organizing our new home. We've still got a ways to go there as well.

We are missing our friends far away. So if you see this, please call or write us!

No comments: