Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Goings-On....Tuesday

Well, today hopefully will be much calmer than yesterday. That is when I had my first experience with the open head wound of my own child. Seeing my little boy with blood streaming down his face and all over his hands was horrid. You'd never know I worked in primary health care, taking care of wounds much worse in the now seemingly very distant past! I'm just weak in the knees when it comes to my own children.

It all started when Super Hero Liam decided to dive into his sister's lower bunk bed. It was draped with blankets to make a "fort" and therefore, the bottom of the upper bunk wasn't visible. "Slam" went the forehead into the metal (fortunately, there was that blanket hanging over it so the blow was less than it would be otherwise). It was sufficient enough to open a 1/2 inch wound on his forehead at the hairline.

I got him to sit down once I realized what had happened (before that, I was screaming at his sister thinking she'd smashed something over his head in revenge for his early tormenting her. Once I realized, I apologized to her, of course.) This all had happened while I was vacuuming. I got on the cell. phone to get Edilberto home to help. At that time, I didn't know how bad it was or wasn't.

We took him to an urgent care and the doctor was nice and didn't stitch him. He should have had a couple of stitches, but like his mother, he is a nervous patient. The doctor had mercy and did a butterfly bandage on it. Liam had a fit when we got home and the neighbor kids wanted him to swim with them in their pool. He can't get the wound wet because it would all open-up again. That was the deal for not getting stitches, I reminded him.

The good thing that came out of it was, since it was past lunchtime by the time we got Liam fixed at the doctor's, we noticed a charming looking little Cuban Deli across the street from the Urgent Care. We had lunch there since we were all starving. It was soooo good. We'll definitely be returning to that place sometime. The owner was a very friendly older chubby Cuban man, who was very happy when we raved about how good the food was! He even gave the kids some rice pudding with cinnamon on it for dessert.

On to other things: Edilberto has a very busy work week. There are, I think, three containers being shipped to Haiti and the Dominican Republic. I will update when I get the details.

Very Cool: We got to see (FROM OUR BACKYARD!!!)none other than the SPACE SHUTTLE Atlantis fly by. Woohoo!!! We were jumping up and down and hooting and hollering. The afterburner smoke stayed there for at least 30 minutes after it went by. Amazing. We had the launch on television for the countdown, then on lift-off we ran outside to see if it was possible to see it. There it was within a second or two. Amazing. Maybe we'll go to a launch one day.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Poor Liam. A head wound and having to stay out of the pool, he must have had a pretty rough day.

At least you found a good restaurant out of it, and hopefully today was a lot calmer than yesterday.

Terri said...

Oh No! Poor little guy!

The restuarant sounds great. I love making little discoveries like that!

Clint said...

Dearest Janice & Edil! So happy to hear that Liam wasn't seriously injured! I'm also glad I'm not the only one who gets excited when finding a great new restaurant! Congratulations! May the Lord continue to bless you guys--we miss and love you!
Manna for Mystics
Doha