Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday Night

It's late but thought I'd check-in here. A very busy week ahead, which I tried to put out of my mind this weekend. I felt like living in a safe bubble of denial of all the things we face this week so I could enjoy the weekend. Liam could possibly be starting school on Wednesday. Our lives will change radically if this is the case. It is all pending on whether or not we get a minister's discount or not. I don't remember if I'd talked about this yet or not. Homeschooling is still an option. Either way really. He could do the private school for a time, and then homeschool if we all feel that's a better option for him. We really want him to have this classroom experience though. I think he'll really enjoy it. And I'll be there in his classroom a lot volunteering (which, I am happy to say, is required!!!)

Anyway, we will probably know tomorrow if we qualify for this discount or not. It's nervewracking as I will have to scramble for the rest of Liam's books and uniforms by Wednesday!

We went to another church (have been there twice so far) and think it might be a fit for us. They are a fairly new group (having been meeting for only about a year) and it is small. The only other children are the pastor's children and a baby and a couple of babies on the way! Our children have really enjoyed attending though and have felt welcome there.

I met the pastor's wife for the first time tonight. She immediately invited us over for dinner. We scheduled for the week after next. We found out about them through internet searching. They are a church that welcomes people from every level of seeking (from doubters, to committed Christians). They are focused on loving and serving the community. They are about meeting and loving people where they're at. Kind of right up our alley I'd say. I also like that they meeting early on Sunday evening. It's nice to have all day Sunday to hang-out as a family and then off to an evening gathering to finish the day and begin a new week.

One thing I thought of the whole evening was that two years ago on the second Sunday in August, my father passed-away (even though the actual day of the month was the 14th). I remember that Sunday as we agonized all day knowing it was happening. Then at around 6:30 p.m., he left us.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Two years have gone so quickly...

I'm glad you've found a community that looks like it will be a good fit. I'm sure that will go a long way towards helping you feel settled. Getting Liam settled one way or another should do the rest of the job. How frustrating that they're stringing it out to the very end.

PS You're about to be tagged (just need to finish adding a few links and then hit publish LOL). See my blog for details.

TnMomTo3 said...

I didn't realize it had already been two years... {{{HUG}}}

I'm glad you found a church everyone seems to like! Hopefully, there will be more children come along soon, too. :)

Keep us updated on the school situation! I know Liam's very excited either way right now!!

Jo said...

So sorry, Janice. Big hugs from me x

Kristin said...

I posted this in my Titus 2 women's group this morning, then I read your blog this evening. Looks like we've been thinking the same things again, Janice...

"We're coming up on our 18th anniversary, and it's funny....never in a million years did my husband expect to have a 14, 11, 9, 7 and ONE year old roaming the house when he turned 50. We don't fit in any category at church fellowship. We're too old to be with the young parents, and we have too many young children to be with the more mature groups. Just this last week, the church Council had a barbecue for the elders and deacons (of which I am one), and said that children we not welcome at this gathering of church leadership.
*sigh* So, we didn't go. It happens all the time, and I wonder if Jesus would still rebuke his disciples as tell them not to hinder the children. I think He would. I think, even in the church, we've gotten used to an expectation of "child-free" worship, "child free" teaching, and even child-free fellowship. Here in Bellingham, citizens have petitioned for child-free parks and child-free restaurants, too. Churches have become so focused on their own right to quiet, that the sights and sounds of dependent life are deemed a distraction, rather than something to smile about and praise God for.

So, like other parents who don't put their babies away in the nursery to cry, I wander through the hallways of the church all service long with my one year old daughter in my arms. I've done it with all the boys too until they were 4 or 5. They are homeschooled and ask a lot of questions. If there's one thing I've learned, it's seize the moment when a child is learning something. I'm happy to answer and happy to be a constant servant, butler, nurse, and protector to my toddler. Do I resent being directed to the obligatory "crying room" even when she's softly babbling, because it would be inappropriate for me to sit on the floor with her in the back of the sanctuary with a few board books? A little, I guess. But what's more, I feel a sense of honor that the Lord has entrusted me of all people with this incredible, irreplaceable treasure. Every child is a gift from Him and should be received and regarded with awe. But what I see in the eyes of so many in this world is a reflexive jerk of the head that says, "That child is somehow going to annoy me, get me sticky, interrupt my schedule, get into my stuff, or invade my space." You see that look when you walk into a restaurant with a child, or into an airplane, or standing in line at the grocery store. It's a feigning tolerance bordering on dread. How awful to see it in the church of all places!

It's amazing how the whole sad picture can be broken by one winking grandma who recognizes a treasure when she sees one, though. That's the joy that was expressed so vividly by old Simeon as he took the newborn Jesus into his arms and praised God, and echoed by 84 year old Anna. Two elderly saints who, in a crowded church foyer, could recognize a certain baby as God's greatest gift to the world.

God help us Mothers to remember that our ministry to our kids is paramount and that we are raising up seed to posses the gates of our spiritual enemies and slanderers. God help us to gaze at our babies with awe, humility and thanksgiving...but gaze at our 3 year olds and 9 year olds in the same way, whether they are currently being exemplary or embarrassing. The truth is, no matter their age, each is a precious gift to the world and we are charged by Jesus Himself with making them into His disciples. Our toil, no matter how mundane at times, is work unto the Lord.

By His grace alone,
Kristin

Lilight said...

Thanks for all of your comments gals!

Robin - I will get to that tag thingie a.s.a.p. Probably not until this weekend though!

Kim & Jo - Thanks for your words.

Kristin - I miss reading your writing. Where can I read more? Thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes, we are always seemingly on the same page!!! Miss you.