Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Just a Little Storm

Fay didn't become a hurricane, but a tropical storm that has brought a lot of rain to Florida; which was needed in some places. The kids' school was cancelled for two days, but I went to work as usual. It was interesting as some had a hard time getting out in the wind and rain; but for me, I am quite used to driving in these conditions. It was nice not to have cold and ice thrown into the mix as I'd be used to in Washington State. There also, you have to worry about Evergreen trees falling over on the electrical lines or, on your car or home! I can't say I'd be as brave and at ease if it'd been a hurricane though! That I have no experience with. I'm glad it didn't.

I also remember a time when I was in a tropical storm when I lived in Hawaii. We had been staying for three weeks in tents on the island of Molokai. We took showers behind big blue tarps and we had to have someone there to hold the tarp down during the high winds! Our tents blew down. We were leaving for a trip to the Philippines. Our plane leaving Molokai had to wait for our team to get to the airport because the road had washed-out on the way there. We didn't even go through security. They rushed us all straight onto the plane!

When we arrived in Honolulu, our flight to Manila had been cancelled due to the storm. We had to go to our base in Honolulu without our belongings because our luggage had already gone off to the airport and onto our connecting plane. We all got sick days later because we had been in wet clothes and had to spend the night in Honolulu without our change of clothes. We did make it out to Manila the next day. But what a trip it was just to get there!

No comments: