Monday, September 01, 2008

Ignoring My Own Blog



My poor neglected blog. Sometimes during the day I get an inspiration for a story; that is precisely when I should sit down and do some blogging, because if I wait until I "have time" to do it, it's usually after I am semi-conscious and ready for bed. Of course, it's because for the other parts of the day, I have two small children demanding, I mean, DEMANDING, my attention. It starts at around 6:45 a.m. on a weekend morning.



Let's take this past Saturday for example, my dear husband got up early with the kids, with the intent of letting me sleep a couple of more hours. He left the air purifier (white noise) going, closed the door, and told the kids to keep out. He proceeded downstairs to prepare something for breakfast. Obviously, there was some selective hearing on the part of the kids.


First Isabella comes into my room, "Mommy, can I sleep next to you." "Okay, but you must sleep!" was my reply as I reached-out my arm to give her a hug half-asleep.


"Mommy, can we get up now?" "Isabella, you may go downstairs and have some breakfast. Let mommy sleep a little more and I'll be down." "O.K." and she leaves. She also leaves the door open. I get up to close it. I finally doze off again.


Just then, Liam comes in. "Mommy, can you play with me?" "Play with you? I'm sleeping. I haven't even gone to the bathroom. I haven't even had breakfast. I haven't even woken-up!" (which is usually the order in which I do things). He leaves me to fall back asleep. I ask him to please close the door behind him.


Isabella comes back another time. Then Liam comes back another time. Then they both go downstairs. I doze-off again.


Just then, there's a subtle kind of knock on the door. I hear it again. Then I hear a couple of meows. It's the cat. I ignore her. She persists. I decide to get up and let her in because she won't give up. She comes in and plops herself onto the foot of the bed. She's tired having been outside for the past few hours (she always wakes-up Edilberto at around 3-4 a.m. and he has to let her out. The alternative would be a cat marching on his head and brushing her body noisely along the blinds on the window at the head of the bed.) The cat was cozy and asleep now. I gave-up and got up for the day!




Well, the whole thing played-out again this morning. Mommy was kind of sleep-deprived and grouchy for the rest of the day. The kids have been spoken to about letting mommy sleep!

No comments: