Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hurricane Preparedness?

I've done earthquakes, floods, tropical storms, lightening storms and gone to bed seeing huge brush fires on the horizon, but never have I done HURRICANES!

Tomorrow kicks-off the six month "hurricane season" here in Florida. I admit it all overwhelms me when I hear about the hurricane preparedness weekends at town centers, see ads in the paper about what you need to have in your home to be prepared, hear about the long lines at the gas station whenever a hurricane is threatening and the bare shelves at the grocery store lacking batteries, drinking water, battery operated fans, etc.

I feel helplessly unprepared as a matter of fact. Barely succeeding at getting our family settled into our home, finding a place for everything in a very small older home with lack of storage, the thought of the need for a generator, gas containers, stored water and non-perishable foods, extra cell phone batteries, battery operated fans, cold packs for the freezer, first-aid kit, etc. overwhelms me! I feel the pressure is on with tomorrow also kicking-off a "10-day tax free" period for buying hurricane preparedness supplies!!! Oh, the pressure! I just need to find a place to hang our towels in the bathroom. How can I get prepared for a hurricane when I can't even find a place for towels???

Of course, I am jesting to some degree, with an ounce of truth though. It's like you're just barely able to tread water in your new surroundings when perhaps sometime soon you will be forced into the deep water to swim. I feel so inadequate. Where's my friend Martha Stewart? She'd have this house all put together and have found a decorative way to store a generator by now, and have food ideas ready for cooking on the grill if there was a prolonged power outage. I know she would.

I just hope the season is kind to me. At least this year. I'm new here.

1 comment:

Terri said...

That is something I have never dealt with either, being landlocked and all.