Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday - and a new week begins!



When one enters a new week, one wonders what the week ahead will hold. Liam was funny this evening when I told him school was tomorrow. He said, "Finally, it's a school day again!" I was happy to hear that.

I didn't post on Friday, but we've already had a note home from the teacher. It was the situation I mentioned in a recent post about one girl who had her arm around Liam while waiting for parent pick-up after school. I knew I should have spoken with the teacher the next morning. That afternoon, Liam sat in the backseat reading the note his teacher wrote to us. "Mommy, what does K-I-S-S-I..." My reply interrupted him, "Kissing?" I knew right away what the deal was.

Yes, I had to talk with my son about hand-holding and kissing and how it's not appropriate at school. At the tender age of 6 years old! I returned alone to the school to talk with the teacher after dropping off Edilberto and the kids at home. I wasn't going to go through the weekend without talking with her and explaining my reservations at seeing the little girl's arm around Liam. The following morning too, she had been waiting for him and latched onto him the minute he entered the playground before school started. I didn't talk to the teacher then because Isabella was having a fit wanting to stay with Liam at school, and I was dealing with her and it distracted me.

We had a good talk with Liam telling him he did nothing wrong, but that he just didn't know the boundaries and that now that he does, he knows he shouldn't do those things. So hard to explain to a six year old. I just kept it simple. He was mortified and embarrassed on Friday, but by today, Sunday, he was very relaxed while talking with me. I reminded him of the rules at school. He seemed to understand.

I'm really hoping for a normal week at school with no incidents. I need a breather after last week. Please please!

No comments: