Sunday, December 23, 2007

Queen of the Kitchen Today

A title I would never normally give myself (not much of a cook, but I do love to bake), but today, I feel I deserve the title (maybe just "princess" of the kitchen). Probably because it is so unlike me to get so many things accomplished in the kitchen. It's easy for some (like my mother) to whip-up a dozen dishes for the holiday meal. I've never felt accomplished in this area whatsoever.

Today I prepared for Christmas Eve dinner (which we're doing with our neighbors) in hopes that on Christmas, we can take it easy with just leftovers (after a big breakfast, of course!) I made frozen salad (family tradition), a quadrupled recipe of New England potato stuffing for the turkey, two chocolate cream pies and brownies. All the while, doing several loads of laundry, keeping the kids happy with some attention (Isabella "helped" me with some of the cooking and even did a few dishes), and keeping the kitchen and the rest of the house tidy during the process.

We even made it to church this evening. Unfortunately, we were meeting in a borrowed space at another church because where we normally meet, they were doing some maintenance work. We got lost trying to find the place (stupid Google directions). And even though I got the kids fed and dressed and out the door in enough time to get to church, we were 30 minutes late!

You see, when we finally figured-out where we were supposed to go, we got stuck downtown at several red lights, and then had to wait for a draw-bridge! It was unbelievable. But wait...there's more. We got to the huge church building and all the doors were locked! We couldn't get in. There were signs of life (lights) and we knocked on the back door, but nobody heard us. We walked around to the front. In the foreground, we could see a beautiful candlelight service going on. Everyone was seated in a circle around string instruments and a piano being played. I wanted to be in there!

The windows were tainted and thick. Nobody could see us or hear us knock! Thankfully for us, our friend's baby got fussy and she was up walking with her in her arms. She saw some movement at the distant window (that would be us). She kept coming closer and pressed her face up to the glass to see through the dark tint. She signaled for us to go around to the back. Her husband met us there. Alas, we were finally in! I told Edilberto that I was feeling a bit like Mary and Joseph trying to find a place to stay.

There was only about 40 minutes left of the service, but at least we got to participate some and see people afterwards and wish everyone a
Merry Christmas!

No comments: